May has been a relatively quite month a far as severe weather. There were 45 reported Skywarn Ops for the month. We still are in the severe season, so be ready if storms appear in your area.
Field Day 2022 is just a little over two weeks away. Hopefully your ARES groups is planning activities for the weekend. It is a great communications exercise as well as practice for sending messages to the Section Manager, AC0HA or myself KB3HF. I am on Winlink, so consider practicing that form of messaging. There are also bonus points for PR and educational sessions, so invite the public and elected officials to visit your site to learn about the great hobby of amateur radio and it’s ability to provide alternative means of communications during various events. Good luck with your field day.
District News and Comments:
District A: Richard Fretwell, W0KRF, DEC
Benton Co. –
- BC ARES Members participated in the following nets: MTN, MESN, ARES, Region A Healthcare, and various club nets. KE0LMZ ran the Region A Healthcare Net in May with KR1STL as back up operator. There were 18 check ins with 8 being from Healthcare.
Clay/Platte Northland ARES –
- Clay / Platte Monthly meeting. The program ” What is SWR – How do I measure it “. The presentation included a test setup that provided SWR measurement of known loads as well as reactive loads. The effects of antenna adjustment and correct placement was part of the demonstration. The introduction of a “NanoVNA” Network Analyzer for antenna system measurements was the Highlight of the program. The possibilities of this new technology had everyone’s attention. Thanks to AB0GD and K0KEX for the presentation.
- NL ARES “Digital Training Net” operation 147.330 (PL 151.4) Sunday @ 8:00 PM CDT. NBEMS software, FLdigi, FLmsg, and FLamp is utilized to interact with participating stations. NCS accepts voice check-ins for stations new to the net and Digital operation. Contact NCS> K0KEX for additional information k0kex628 at gmail dot com
“MODES” “Missouri Digital Emergency Service” net operation
- MODES 3.985 MHz Thursday 10:00 am CST. FOUR sessions QNI 67 QTC 6 28 hours. ZOOM Mtg for Technical Discussion.
- NCS utilizes FSQcall triggers to expedite responses from participating stations. Additional “MODES” info at https://modes.groups.io/g/main/topics FLdigi-FSQ or FSQcall for net interaction. New members are welcome.
- NCS. KA0OTL Jeff, Net mgr.
- Livingston Co. – EOC Station Workday, 6 members participating. Joe Dietrick, KC0NOX
District I: Linda Lathrop, KF4MXF
- District I ARES net has been postponed due to lack of participation. Please welcome Pulaski Co. EC KN4FRG, Jeff Phillips.
The following are the operations and volunteer hours reported for the month of May 2022:
73 and have a great Field Day,
Jeff Young KB3HF
Missouri Section EC